A History of Excellence
The CHS rowing team is recognized throughout the United States as a competitive powerhouse, and certainly represents one of the strongest athletic traditions at Canisius High School. Since 1956, Canisius rowers have earned countless US National, Canadian National, and New York State Championships. The program has produced two Olympians within the past 30 years.
Canisius High School crew is based at the Buffalo Scholastic Rowing Association (BSRA) located in the Old First Ward area on the Buffalo River. Visit the BSRA website.
Made up of varsity and freshman programs, the crew team numbers approximately 90 athletes and trains throughout the year. The team competes in both the fall and spring seasons. One of the keys to success is our intense indoor strength and conditioning program from November to April. Our state-of-the-art indoor facility boasts 50 ergometers, video-networked “virtual rowing shells”, sliders, and an array of custom-built strength training equipment.
The team is funded through CHS, as well as team fees and dues. Each rower pays for membership into the BSRA, as well as season dues (the amount changes from season to season). Additionally, payments will be expected for each regatta that will cover the transportation to the regatta, hotel rooms for the rowers & coaches, stipends for the coaches, food on the bus and food while at the hotel. The regatta fee does not cover the food at the venue site during the regatta. The parents donate food for the regattas using an online signup form. Payments are expected on time for the rower to continue in the program. If there is any hardship, the parent should privately notify Coach Flaherty, head coach. Anyone who wants to row for CHS will be able to do so, regardless of their ability to pay.
RECENT NOTABLE RACING ACHIEVEMENTS
- USRowing Youth Nationals, Lightweight 4+ (Bronze in 2009)
- USRowing Youth Nationals, Lightweight 8+ (2006, 2007; Silver in 2011)
- Canadian Nationals, Junior Heavyweight 8+ (Silver in 2010; Bronze in 2006)
- Canadian Nationals, Junior Lightweight 4+ (2009; Bronze in 2011)
- Canadian Nationals, Junior Lightweight 8+ (Silver in 2007)
- Canadian Nationals, Senior Lightweight 4+ (2006, 2009; Bronze in 2010)
- Canadian Nationals, Senior Lightweight 8+ (Silver in 2007, 2010; Bronze in 2006, 2009, 2011)
- Canadian Nationals, Senior Heavyweight 8+ (Bronze in 2011)
- US Scholastic Nationals, Freshman 8+ (2006, 2008; Silver in 2011; Bronze in 2009)
- US Scholastic Nationals, Junior Heavyweight 8+ (2008)
- US Scholastic Nationals, Lightweight 8+ (2008, 2009, 2010)
- US Scholastic Nationals, Senior Heavyweight 8+ (Bronze in 2009)
- New York State Championships, Freshman 4+ (2007, 2010)
- New York State Championships, Freshman 8+ (1998-2001, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011)
- New York State Championships, Junior Heavyweight 8 (2008, 2009)
- New York State Championships, Lightweight 4+ (2007, 2008)
- New York State Championships, Lightweight 8+ (2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011)
- New York State Championships, 2nd Senior Heavyweight 8+ (2009)
- New York State Championships, Senior Heavyweight 8+ (2009, 2011)